1. Get Started
I believe that not much happens of any significance when we're in our comfort zone. Take a step in faith to follow your dreams. Remember...the only failure in life is to never take the risk in the first place. "Security is for cadavers."
2. Never give up.
Almost nothing works the first time it's attempted. Just because what you're doing does not seem to be working, doesn't mean it won't work. It just means that it might not work the way you're doing it. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
3. When you're ready to quit, you're closer than you think.
There's an old Chinese saying that goes like this: "The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."
4. Surround yourself with good people.
Hire the best. Pay them the best. Treat them the best. Expect their best.
5. Take things one day at a time.
No matter how difficult your situation is, you can get through it if you don't look too far into the future, and focus on the present moment. You can get through anything one day at a time.
6. Always be moving forward.
Never stop thinking. Never stop improving. Never stop doing something new. The moment you stop improving your organization, it starts to die. Make it your goal to be better each and every day, in some small way. Small daily improvements eventually result in huge advantages.
8. Be quick to decide.
Read the book “Two Minute Manager” by Ken Blanchard. Deal with things swiftly, decisively and move on. General George S. Patton said: "A good plan violently executed today is far and away better than a perfect plan tomorrow." Maybe a little harsh, but I see his point.
9. Pay attention to your competitors, but pay more attention to what you're doing. Some goes for the people that don’t necessarily like what you do. You can’t control those things, but you can control what you do. Focus on that.
10. Anything that is not managed will deteriorate.
If you want to uncover problems you don't know about, take a few moments and look closely at the areas you haven't examined for a while. I guarantee problems will be found there.
11. Never let anybody push you around.
Realize that if you are successful, you will have a huge target on your back. But, never forget you have just as much right to what you're doing as anyone else.
12. Create your formula for success. Mine is:
Activity=Interest; Interest=Participation; Participation=Success; Success=$$
13. Don't take yourself too seriously.
Lighten up. Laugh. Often, at least half of what we accomplish is due to luck. None of us are in control as much as we like to think we are.